Capn's Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Republishing my blog on my website

If you're reading this, you know I like to blog. Not often enough, and probably not interesting enough, but there you go.

One problem is that I have many friends in China, and they are unable to visit blogspot.com to see my blog. So I want to find a way to copy my blog pages from blogspot.com to my own website. That way, people in China can read my blog by visiting my website.

Here's a rough outline of my plan:
  1. Grab an XML version of my blog from blogspot.com.
  2. Find the links to my other blog pages, and rewrite them.
  3. Find the links to Wikipedia articles and make a copy on my website. Rewrite the Wikipedia links.
  4. Use XSLT to convert the XML into XHTML.
  5. Put the XHTML page on my website.
  6. Add the blog page to an index.
That's easier said than done. At the moment I am struggling with step 4. While I can find plenty of XSLT transforms to convert RSS-to-XHTML, the blogspot.com XML feed is in Atom format, and I'm having trouble finding ATOM-to-XHTML XSLT transformations.

Been working on this for a couple of weeks, so far without success. Hope I can work it out soon.

2 Comments:

  • Nice to find my namesake... Cap walker.
    Cap'n&r

    By Blogger cap'n&reg, at 12:31 pm  

  • Hi James,

    Thanks for your comment. I had a look at your profile and it says you like technology. You might like my other blog:

    http://capnstech.blogspot.com/

    I read your blog (capn666). I hope you can blog more. I think you have a lot to say that's worth listening to.

    By Blogger mjd, at 7:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home